Overview of SV Mattersburg Football Team
SV Mattersburg is a professional football club based in the city of Mattersburg, Austria. The team’s home ground is the Pappelstadion, which has a seating capacity of 12,000 spectators.
Founded in 1922, the team initially competed in regional leagues before joining the Austrian Football Association in 1971. Mattersburg has spent most of its history playing in the lower divisions but has enjoyed a relatively successful spell in the top flight in recent years.
History of SV Mattersburg Football Team
SV Mattersburg was originally established as SV Mattersdorf in 1922. The team played in local leagues until the 1960s, when they were upgraded to the third division of the Austrian football pyramid. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Mattersburg fluctuated between the third and fourth tiers, with limited success.
In the early 1990s, the club began a meteoric rise up the Austrian football pyramid, securing promotion to the second division in 1993. Mattersburg continued to rise and won the second division title in 2000, earning a place in the top flight for the first time in their history.
Although the team initially struggled to adapt to the top-flight, they avoided relegation in their debut season. The club’s fortunes on the pitch were mixed over the next few years, but in 2006/07, Mattersburg finished in a historic second place in the Austrian Bundesliga, securing a place in the UEFA Cup.
Mattersburg continued to compete at the top level for several years, but eventually slipped back down to the second division in 2019.
Notable Players of SV Mattersburg Football Team
Over the years, SV Mattersburg has produced a number of notable players, including:
– Markus Koller: A former captain of the team who spent several years with the club across multiple spells. Koller was a talented midfielder who went on to represent Austria internationally.
– Alexander Grunwald: A midfielder who played for Mattersburg from 2010 to 2016. Grunwald made over 160 appearances for the team and was known for his creative flair in midfield.
– Andreas Dober: A striker who played for Mattersburg in the early 2000s. Dober scored 35 goals in 103 appearances for the team and helped the club earn promotion to the top-flight in 2000.
Coaches of SV Mattersburg Football Team
SV Mattersburg has had a number of coaches over the years, with varying degrees of success. Some notable names include:
– Franz Lederer: A former Austrian international who started his coaching career with Mattersburg. Lederer led the team to second place in the Bundesliga in 2006/07.
– Gerald Baumgartner: A former Mattersburg player who took over as the team’s head coach in 2016. Baumgartner guided the club to a comfortable mid-table finish in the Bundesliga in his first season in charge.
– Klaus Schmidt: A German coach who was appointed as Mattersburg head coach in 2019. Schmidt was unable to prevent the team from being relegated from the Bundesliga, but he has continued in his role in the second division.
Most Successful Season of SV Mattersburg Football Team
The most successful season in SV Mattersburg’s history was undoubtedly the 2006/07 campaign, when the team finished in second place in the Austrian Bundesliga. Mattersburg won 17 of their 36 league matches that season, finishing just two points behind champions Red Bull Salzburg.
As a result of this success, Mattersburg qualified for the UEFA Cup, where they faced French side Lens in the first round. Mattersburg held Lens to a 1-1 draw in the first leg, but were unfortunately knocked out of the competition after a 3-0 defeat in the return leg.
Owner of SV Mattersburg Football Team
SV Mattersburg is owned by the Martin Pucher Group, a company based in the Austrian state of Carinthia. The Martin Pucher Group is involved in a range of businesses, including construction, real estate, and hospitality.
Stadium of SV Mattersburg Football Team
SV Mattersburg’s home ground is the Pappelstadion, which is located in the town of Mattersburg. The stadium has a seating capacity of 12,000 spectators and was opened in 1952.
In recent years, the stadium has undergone significant renovations to improve its facilities and increase capacity. Mattersburg’s most loyal supporters occupy the “Kurve” section of the stadium, where they create a raucous atmosphere on match days.
|Team Name:||SV Mattersburg|
|Owner:||Martin Pucher Group|
In conclusion, SV Mattersburg is a historic football club based in the Austrian town of Mattersburg. Although the team has spent most of its history playing in the lower divisions, it has enjoyed a relatively successful spell in the top flight in recent years. With the support of its dedicated fans and the backing of the Martin Pucher Group, Mattersburg will be hoping to return to the top-flight and continue to compete at the highest level of Austrian football.