SK Rapid Wien: Overview of the Team
SK Rapid Wien, commonly known as Rapid Vienna, is an Austrian football club based in the city of Vienna. The club was founded in 1899 and has a rich history, with numerous domestic and international titles to its name.
The team plays in the Austrian Football Bundesliga, which is the top level of professional football in Austria. They have a fierce rivalry with another Viennese team, Austria Wien. Their matches, known as the Vienna Derby, are some of the most anticipated matches in Austrian football.
History of the Team
SK Rapid Wien was founded on January 8, 1899, by a group of students. The team played its first match on March 8, 1899, against Wiener Sport-Club, which they won 1-0. The team had a successful start to their history, winning their first Austrian championship in 1911.
Over the years, Rapid Wien has had many notable achievements. They have won 32 Austrian championships, 14 Austrian Cups, and two German championships (when Austria was annexed by Nazi Germany). The team has also had success in European competitions, reaching the European Cup Winners’ Cup final in 1985, which they won.
SK Rapid Wien has had many notable players throughout its history. Some of the most famous players include:
– Matthias Sindelar: Known as the “Mozart of football,” Sindelar played for Rapid Wien in the 1920s and 1930s. He was considered one of the best players of his time and helped lead the Austrian national team to the World Cup semifinals in 1934.
– Hans Krankl: Krankl played for Rapid Wien from 1970-1978 and was one of the top scorers in the Austrian Bundesliga during his time with the team. He also played for the Austrian national team, scoring the winning goal in their famous 3-2 victory over West Germany in the 1978 World Cup.
– Steffen Hofmann: Hofmann played for Rapid Wien from 2002-2018 and was the team’s captain for several years. He played over 500 matches for the team and was known for his leadership and technique.
SK Rapid Wien has had many coaches throughout its history. Some of the most notable include:
– Max Merkel: Merkel coached Rapid Wien in the 1960s and 1970s and led the team to two Austrian championships.
– Ernst Happel: Happel coached Rapid Wien in the 1940s and 1950s and led the team to three Austrian championships. He went on to coach the Dutch national team, leading them to victory in the 1988 European Championship.
– Peter Pacult: Pacult coached Rapid Wien in the 2000s and led the team to two Austrian championships.
Most Successful Season
SK Rapid Wien has had many successful seasons throughout its history. One of the most successful seasons was in 1984-1985, when they won the Austrian Bundesliga and reached the final of the European Cup Winners’ Cup. In the final, they defeated Spanish team Valencia 3-1 to win the trophy.
SK Rapid Wien is owned by Rapid Wien Fußball GmbH, which is a subsidiary of the club’s members. This means that the club is owned by its fans, who have a direct say in how the club is run.
SK Rapid Wien plays its home matches at the Allianz Stadion, which is a modern stadium located in the Hütteldorf district of Vienna. The stadium has a capacity of 28,000 spectators and has hosted several matches for the Austrian national team.
|Team Name:||SK Rapid Wien|
|Championships Won:||32 Austrian championships, 14 Austrian Cups, 2 German championships|
|Owner:||Rapid Wien Fußball GmbH (owned by its members)|
|City and Country:||Vienna, Austria|
|Mascot:||Rudi the Rabbit|