If you’re in the market for an automotive performance emission system, there are a lot of things to consider before making a purchase. The right system can make your vehicle run better, increase horsepower, and reduce emissions. But with so many options available, it can be tough to know where to start.
That’s why we’ve put together this buyer’s guide to help you navigate the world of automotive performance emission systems. From exhaust systems to catalytic converters, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make an informed purchase.
The exhaust system plays a critical role in your vehicle’s performance and emissions. It’s responsible for guiding exhaust gases out of the engine and keeping them away from passengers. A high-performance exhaust system can reduce backpressure and increase horsepower. Here are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for an exhaust system:
1. Material: The three most common materials for exhaust systems are stainless steel, aluminized steel, and mild steel. Stainless steel is the most durable, but also the most expensive. Aluminized steel is a good compromise between cost and durability, while mild steel is the least expensive but also the least durable.
2. Mandrel Bends: Look for an exhaust system with mandrel bends. These smooth bends will help reduce backpressure and improve exhaust flow.
3. Mufflers: The right muffler can have a big impact on the exhaust note of your vehicle. If you want a quiet ride, look for a muffler with a low decibel rating. If you want a more aggressive sound, look for a muffler with a higher decibel rating.
Catalytic converters are responsible for reducing harmful emissions from your vehicle’s exhaust. They contain precious metals like platinum, palladium, and rhodium that convert harmful pollutants like carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides into less harmful gases. When shopping for a catalytic converter, here are a few things to look for:
1. Certification: Make sure the catalytic converter you buy is certified for use in your state. Each state has its own emissions standards, and using a non-certified catalytic converter can result in hefty fines.
2. Material: The three most common materials for catalytic converters are ceramic, metal, and honeycomb. Ceramic is the most common and is generally the most affordable. Metal is more durable and can handle higher temperatures, while honeycomb is the most efficient at converting pollutants.
3. Size: Make sure you get a catalytic converter that’s the right size for your vehicle. Too small and it won’t be effective at reducing emissions. Too large and it may not fit properly.
Air Intake Systems
The air intake system is responsible for delivering air to the engine. A high-performance air intake system can increase horsepower by improving airflow. When shopping for an air intake system, here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Filter: Look for an air intake system with a quality air filter. A good air filter will prevent dirt and debris from entering the engine while still allowing air to flow freely.
2. Material: The three most common materials for air intake systems are plastic, aluminum, and carbon fiber. Plastic is the most affordable, but also the least durable. Aluminum is more expensive but more durable, while carbon fiber is the most expensive and most durable.
3. Performance gains: Check the manufacturer’s claims for horsepower gains with the air intake system. Bear in mind that these claims can be overstated, so look for independent testing results as well.
When it comes to buying an automotive performance emission system, there are a lot of factors to consider. A high-performance exhaust system, catalytic converter, and air intake system can all increase horsepower and reduce emissions. But with so many options available, it’s important to do your research and choose the right system for your vehicle. With the information in this buyer’s guide, you’ll be well-equipped to make an informed purchase.